You need to know basic stuff about Medicaid because:
- Medicaid may well become the model for your health insurance
- It covers more working-age people than any other payment type
- Your state and federal tax dollars pay for Medicaid.
So, here are the basics.
- Medicaid covers one out of five Americans.
- Most Medicaid dollars go to the blind and disabled.
- Medical care for poor adults accounts for a third of Medicaid spend
- Poor kids use a fifth of Medicaid dollars
- The rest is mostly for nursing home care for folks with very limited income or assets – in fact, Medicaid is the major payer for nursing home and similar medical care.
- Medicaid expansion (covering people just above the poverty line) is now in place in 34 states (plus D.C.); 2 are implementing, and 3 more are considering expansion.
Lastly, my bet is we’ll have some form of Single Payer within the decade – and Medicaid will be the model.
Article source:Managed Care Matters